Are you paying enough attention to your oral health? It might surprise you to learn that caring for your mouth can lead to better health for your entire body. It’s easier than you think, too! The American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA) has come up with a slogan to help you remember four simple steps you can take every day to improve the health of your mouth and by extension, your whole body: “Brush, Rinse, Floss, Chew.”
- Brush: Twice a day, brush your teeth with a medium bristle toothbrush, brushing for two minutes, using small, circular, back and forth motions. Use a toothpaste with fluoride, and look for one with the American Dental Association (ADA) stamp of approval. Don’t forget to brush your tongue!
- Rinse: After brushing, rinse your mouth with anti-microbial mouthwash. Look for mouthwash that contains fluoride and has the ADA seal of acceptance, and swish it around your mouth for 30 seconds so that it has a chance to come into contact with all of your teeth. Finish up with a gargle to rinse the back of your tongue, then spit the mouthwash into the sink.
- Floss: At least once a day, floss. After working the floss between the teeth with a gentle zig-zag motion, wrap it gently around the side of each tooth and slide it up and down, against the tooth surface and under the gum line. This will remove leftover food particles and plaque, and help prevent gingivitis (gum disease), which has been linked to health conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Be thorough but gentle, and if you have trouble handling traditional floss, talk to your dentist about the other options for flossing your teeth.
- Chew: Did you know that chewing sugar-free gum is actually good for the health of your mouth? It stimulates the production of saliva, which is the body’s natural defense against tooth decay. Research indicates that the biggest benefit to your oral health comes from chewing sugar-free gum after eating or drinking.
Of course, one of the best things you can do for your oral health is to schedule regular checkups with your dentist. If you’re looking for dentist in Hazlet, New Jersey, you can trust Glenwood Premier Dental to meet your needs. At Glenwood Premier Dental, we believe that a healthy, confident smile is an important part of a happy and healthy lifestyle. Our staff of caring professionals is committed to offering a wide range of dental services, exceeding our patients’ expectations, and providing the best possible service. We offer dental exams and teeth cleanings, implant dentistry, Invisalign, laser dentistry, teeth whitening, veneers, and more, using state of the art technology in a comfortable and friendly environment. If you’re looking for dental care in Hazlet, contact us through our website or call 732.264.4477 for more information.
You know that brushing your teeth for two minutes twice a day with fluoride toothpaste helps protect your oral health, but do you know which toothbrush is the most effective? According to a recent study, electric toothbrushes do a much better job of cleaning your teeth and gums than manual toothbrushes. If you’re not using an electric toothbrush, you might want to consider making the switch.
The study took 11 years to complete, and it’s the longest study into the effectiveness of electric versus manual brushing ever undertaken. It reinforces what smaller studies have been saying all along. Electric toothbrushes are very effective at removing plaque, especially if the toothbrushes have oscillating heads that rotate in both directions. Over the 11-year period of research, using electric toothbrushes resulted in 22 percent less gum recession and 18 percent less tooth decay.
Now that we’ve sold you on electric toothbrushes, how do you choose the right one? There are many different toothbrushes on the market, and in some ways, your choice will be subjective: the one you like is the one you’ll be most likely to use, so that’s the best one for you. However, we do have a few guidelines to bear in mind.
- Your toothbrush should be easy to operate. It should run smoothly and consistently, and not require extensive instructions.
- The head of the toothbrush should be a good fit for your mouth. It needs to fit comfortably into your mouth and be easy to maneuver around your teeth. It also needs a long enough handle for you to reach the very back of your mouth while you hold it comfortably in your hand.
- Bristles matter. Bristles that are too hard can wear down your tooth enamel, so go for soft or medium bristles, depending on how vigorously you brush. Look for bristles with rounded tips for further tooth protection.
- A timer is important. Whether you use a manual or electric toothbrush, you should be brushing for two minutes. A toothbrush that times you for two minutes, in 30-second intervals, makes this easier.
- Weigh the cost of a rechargeable against the cost of batteries. Rechargeable models are typically more expensive, but they also garner better reviews. Battery-operated toothbrushes are less expensive initially but may require replacement batteries every couple of weeks.
For dental care in Hazlet, New Jersey, you can trust Glenwood Premier Dental. At Glenwood Premier Dental, we believe that a healthy, confident smile is an important part of a happy and healthy lifestyle. Our staff of caring professionals is committed to offering a wide range of dental services, exceeding our patients’ expectations, and providing the best possible service. We offer dental exams and teeth cleanings, implant dentistry, Invisalign, laser dentistry, teeth whitening, veneers, and more, using state of the art technology in a comfortable and friendly environment. If you’re looking for dental care in Hazlet, contact us through our website or call 732.264.4477 for more information.